Dumbledore's Army: Don't Ask, Don't Tell?
As you may or may not have heard by now, JK Rowling dropped a little bombshell at a reading at Carnegie Hall tonight. Asked by a fan whether Albus Dumbledore had ever loved anyone, she smiled and replied "Dumbledore is gay, actually."
She went on to explain that as a young man, he had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald.
I can't express how excited I am about this, and how proud I am of Jo for making this statement. Neocons' heads will explode. Cats will lay with dogs. The Rapture may occur.
Scanning some comments around the internets, a common statement seems to be "why now? how unnecessary." Why now indeed, rather than in Book 7 or sooner? Because now is so much more subversive. Jo has been dealing with attempts at censorship since Book 1, and would be well aware that addressing this within one of the books would have kept it off library shelves and out of peoples' homes in many areas.
But now? Too late. TOO LATE.
Hopefully this revelation will spark many constructive conversations. Will it elicit hate? Of course. But I'm going to be optimistic and say there will be more positive results than negative.
Hit that comment button below. You don't have to be a Potter geek to see the significance, do you?
--Mikey
Cross-posted to Intelligent Decline.
She went on to explain that as a young man, he had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald.
I can't express how excited I am about this, and how proud I am of Jo for making this statement. Neocons' heads will explode. Cats will lay with dogs. The Rapture may occur.
Scanning some comments around the internets, a common statement seems to be "why now? how unnecessary." Why now indeed, rather than in Book 7 or sooner? Because now is so much more subversive. Jo has been dealing with attempts at censorship since Book 1, and would be well aware that addressing this within one of the books would have kept it off library shelves and out of peoples' homes in many areas.
But now? Too late. TOO LATE.
Hopefully this revelation will spark many constructive conversations. Will it elicit hate? Of course. But I'm going to be optimistic and say there will be more positive results than negative.
Hit that comment button below. You don't have to be a Potter geek to see the significance, do you?
--Mikey
Cross-posted to Intelligent Decline.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home